Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh My God

I recently came across a documentary film called “Oh My God”, directed and created by Peter Rodger. He goes on a global journey to ask the simple, yet earth changing question; what is God? You get the idea from the beginning that Peter is just another cynic trying to prove how detrimental religion is on society. Mr. Rodgers even says that he had expected for everyone to tell him why their God was the best. Accordingly what usually happens when one takes the time to do some research, and discover for themselves the true answers instead of relying on what we are told, the filmmaker stumbles upon many beautiful examples of faith and tolerance from every stretch of the globe.


It was a pleasant part of the journey to see the filmmaker’s heart open up, as he discovered more examples of the kindness of people when they are truly following the spirit of each of the represented religions. I was also moved myself to examine more closely my feeling towards other religions. When I was younger I immediately dismissed other religions, solely on the fact that they weren’t mine. I thought that they were wrong, violent, and against everything I believed in. I believed in their right to worship, but not in what it was they were worshiping. I think that there are a lot of Christians out there who exist in this thought plane. To paraphrase an old Saturday Night Live sketch “If its not Christian, ITS CRAP!”

I have recently been doing a lot of research on Buddhism and Shinto in Japan for a graphic novel I am working on. In the genesis of my research I was really hesitant as to whether I should read Buddhist scripts, being a Christian and all. A guilty mind asked; would these texts have the ability to cloud my mind, and steer me away from Christ? The further I read the more similarities I found. I began to become more comfortable and began delving further into the subject. I started to see how the different sects developed over similar social issues that caused splintering of Christians into many different sects. I learned that texts were translated differently when they traveled through Korea and through China, and were again modified when they reached Japan. But most importantly I learned that the ultimate goal in Buddhism is peace.

The film “Oh My God” pointed out to me a situation in the Muslim community that we also face as Christians. Extremist are misleading people using the isolation of specific parts of scripture to manipulate a situation, while conveniently ignoring the main point. Christians used the scripture to justify slavery, and some are still doing it to promote the hatred of homosexuals. These are both are in direct violation of Jesus’ order to “love one another as I have loved you.” Extremist in the Muslim community are using the Quran to justify the killing of Christians and Jews. While a majority of Muslims are like a majority of Christians, we just want peace.

It is my belief that people mostly want to promote peace and love. The media only portrays the corrupt and ignorant misuses of these systems, so if we don’t do our own research and find out for ourselves we will never know the full potential man has to live together in peace and tolerance.

4 comments:

  1. Good writing here...I certainly agree with your closing paragraph. In my opinion, most of the time that religion is misused in the name of God, it's down for a particular person or group of people to acquire their own power and glory.

    I have one question for clarification...When you say "...some are still doing it to promote the hatred of homosexuals", do you mean those like the Westboro Baptist (GodHatesFags) folks or just generally those who believe homosexuality is a sin? I fall into the latter camp and hate the former (and have written a handful of articles on my own blog about their seething hatred, something that obviously doesn't come from God).

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'oh! That should be "done" for a particular person... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arab Christian village
    On Christmas Eve in 1951, army Israelis took some arab christen village elders to a nearby hill and they watched as the old stone houses were blown up with dynamite and tank fire, as many other Palestinian villages had been.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7361036.stm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intolerance hurts everyone just as much as those who go to the extreme to prove their particular point, using religion to hide behind. Most religions are based in peace but those that are not are the people we all see on the news. Instead what we see are the more radical people and we begin to believe that everyone in that particular religion is like that. In truth I believe those people are really in the minority but they get the publicity and so they look like the majority. (Squeaky wheel).. When people are told that they MUST believe certain things or else.... then that changes things...many people to not want to be told what to believe. They just want to be given some guidance and then be allowed to do our own research and make their own choices. What is happening is that people end up just pulling away from organized religions and many time just stop believing anything. I don't believe that God intended us to never make mistakes or never to faultier. If we didn't then how would we learn? How would we grow? There would be more peace in the world and not less if people would be more tolerant. That would leave the other people, the ones that use intolerance to fuel their agendas, no one to follow them. World peace is not impossible. God Bless you and everyone :)

    ReplyDelete